Wednesday, July 6, 2011

A Potbelly Parent

I decided to lighten up the writing on this one!

So, in our around January I became a parent to a beautiful mini potbelly named Lilly (pictured left) My honey was not having it at first but soon....two hours after I brought her home soon....he was attached to her and she was to him. I must say, it has been a crazy ride, and I'm sure the best is yet to come!

This morning she was in one of her "moods." I believe it's because she needs to be spayed and her hormones are driving her crazy. She decided it was time to tear everything up in my house. It's 8:00 AM and I'm already running late, and now I'm chasing after Lilly half naked with a towel around my head trying to make her stop chewing on whatever she happens to be chewing on at the moment. If someone would have taped this, it would have won America's Funniest Videos. By the end of it, I was cranky and irritated. I finally got her outside in time to throw clothes on and run out the door.

I was told having a pot belly pig would be like having a toddler. Yup!! In fact I think it could be slightly worse....respect to all toddler mom's out there, because I was going nuts! Lilly is hyper like a toddler, moody like a toddler, whiny like a toddler when she doesn't get what she wants and yet, she can be the smartest little booger I've ever seen! She can open and close cabinets, doors, and drawers. She knows the meaning of the word "NO!" whether or not she chooses to listen to it is an entirely different subject though. She's really loving when she wants to be, and loves to cuddle on the couch with us. She picked up all the commands we have taught her almost instantly, but sometimes she just drives me INSANE!!!

Lilly is on a strict diet, and I definitely recommend that to all people considering a pet pig. She only eats Mazuri Mini-Pig Chow. For a treat she will get organic cookies (available at Petsmart which of course are intended for dogs, but they are made with mostly vegetables and don't have anything harmful in them. She will also get watermelon as a treat on hot days! I strictly follow the recommended portion for her size found on the back of the bag, and she gets plenty of time outside in the yard to run around and play. We also take her on walks when it's not too hot. Pigs unlike dogs, do not have a way of expelling heat from their bodies, so they try to cover up in mud. This is why most pigs wallow. Lilly has a kiddie pool outside and likes to wallow in it when she's hot.

Having her really is fun, but as I've mentioned before, it can be a little crazy. Pigs require more time and patience than dogs, because their biggest asset can get them into trouble. They are so intelligent and curious which leads them to tear things up or get into places where they shouldn't be. I suggest completely child proofing your house before letting in a pig. Also, get used to saying NO, and sternly at that because you'll start to sound like a broken record! Rule of thumb is, don't let a 5 lb pig do or get into anything you wouldn't allow a 100 lb pig to!

Happy Oinking! (oo)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! Let me know what you think!