Thursday, July 28, 2011

Everything we can be

People are often unreasonable, illogical and self centered;
Forgive them anyway.
If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives;
Be kind anyway.
If you are successful, you will win some false friends and some true enemies;
Succeed anyway.
If you are honest and frank, people may cheat you;
Be honest and frank anyway.
What you spend years building, someone could destroy overnight;
Build anyway.
If you find serenity and happiness, they may be jealous;
Be happy anyway.
The good you do today, people will often forget tomorrow;
Do good anyway.
Give the world the best you have, and it may never be enough;
Give the world the best you've got anyway.
You see, in the final analysis, it is between you and your God;
It was never between you and them anyway.
~Mother Theresa
I have spent the past 8 months of my life analyzing and re-analyzing every move I've made, every word I've said to determine which actions, or spoken thoughts have led me where I am at this moment. I am not too arrogant, or proud to analyze myself. I kept coming back blank though. I have tried my hardest to come up with explanations of why a deep disapproval  for me exists in certain people whom I will keep anonymous. I have even tried to ask those people where it came from. They cannot answer either. I came across the above poem the other day, and everything started to make more sense to me. It's just like Mother Theresa says (which I believe she did not write this originally) no matter how hard you try, or what you try it can always be perceived as something bad or wrong. As long as you know in your heart that you are doing everything you can to be a good person, friend, co-worker, wife, whatever, that is all you can do.

Giving anything less than our best is a waste of time and talent, however there are people who live in their own misery and plight that all they see is negativity and all they can do is try to drag everything else into their black hole of a mindset. Although we should never stop being all we can be, we should not allow negativity to surround us. This is easier said than done, especially for someone like me who has always found themselves eager to please. All that can be done to prevent people from dragging you down, should be done. Its an old saying; "Misery loves company." Its very true, too.

We all have our days, I sure do. I'm cranky, nothing is going my way, and the world seems to be very dark. These thoughts are destructive, but we are all human and we all have them. The key is to realize when these thoughts have begun to consume you, and work to stop them. Try to find positives and think of them, before you know it more and more positive thoughts come and you have worked yourself out of a terrible mood. I practice this often, sometimes it works better than other times, but it lifts me up if only for a little bit.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! Let me know what you think!