Sunday, January 1, 2012

Holiday Blues and More Piggy News

While packing to go to Tulsa this weekend for New Year's at my parent's Scooby Doo (our beagle) ran away yet again. He has a knack for finding the tiniest spots to crawl through/break free from etc.. He usually only makes it halfway down the block before we finally catch up with him and find some way to bring him back. This time he bolted full speed and there was no stopping him. He made it two blocks down the road before hubby almost caught him, then ended up on a main street. In the mean time I was getting into the car and hubby got in with me and we looked for Scooby. He was gone... one he got onto the main road, there was no sight of him. I just pray he is safe and hasn't gotten ran over. I have posted ads pretty much every where and hopefully someone soon will find him. Lilly doesn't seem to be very phased with Scooby's disappearance and a small part of me thinks she is happy to be our only child again...that pig!

To update, Lilly has been spayed and once her hormones had completely left her body, she became more calm. She is slowly but surely more affectionate and less likely to snap at people and try to bite. Her and Scooby would get into tussles here and there and Lilly would sometimes bleed and it used to worry me. She would pick fights with him and luckily, they were about the same size so they couldn't really hurt each other all that much. Which brings me to another lesson learned...dogs and pigs will fight... It's not a question of "if" it's a question of "when?"

Pigs are very stubborn and they have a pecking order. Part of being a pig is constantly challenging everyone around you to see where you fall in that pecking order. Pigs do it with adults, children, and other animals as well. It is very important to know this if you plan on or do own a pig. It is also important to know to stand your ground when your pig starts to test the limits. DO NOT SMACK YOUR PIG!  Pigs don't forget and physical discipline makes them even more aggressive and violent. Use your height to your advantage and if your pig wants to square off with you stand your ground firmly and corner your pig. Do not show fear, and do not try to run. One effective way I've found is to almost make a fighting stance but slightly angle yourself so you look like you may charge at your pig. This is what pigs naturally will do, charge at each other with open mouths, or they'll try to head butt each other....therefore if you assume the stance and do not back down, your pig should realise they are ineligible to fight for your spot in the pecking order.

I have learned this trick with Lilly and I can now read her body language, when the little Mohawk on her head starts to raise and she gets a look in her eye like she may be ready to test me, I square off with her instantly and let her know I will have none of it. I loudly say "NO!" and "BACK OFF" and I send her to her kennel. She grunts and whines about it, but it works.

Scooby would spend the afternoons outside with Lilly and they would wear each other out. This would put Lilly in a much more relaxed mood when we came home from work, I'm a little nervous to see what life will be like if we don't find Scoob. I fear her anxiousness from being bored will cause her to start acting out again. Here's to hoping for that little guy's safe return...for the sake of my sanity!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! Let me know what you think!